Celebrating Recovery: A Visit from our Sister Aquarium in Fukushima
We’re proud to have Sister Aquarium relationships with several outstanding institutions around the world, including Aquamarine Fukushima in Japan. By exchanging visits, animals and expertise, we’ve developed relationships that enrich everyone involved — and create better experiences for all of our guests.
This week, we’re proud to host three colleagues from Aquamarine Fukushima in Japan: from left, Miki Araki, Tomoe Nakayama and Yuko Murayama, flanking Husbandry Curator Steve Vogel.
Their visit to several California aquariums and museums is part of their process of recovery from the devastating earthquake and tsunami that did so much damage to Fukushima Prefecture — including the aquarium — in March 2011.
"We’re here to get inspired by the work of our colleagues, and get new ideas that will make us a better aquarium," Tomoe said. "We’re coming back, and we still have a long way to go."
Their visit includes a full agenda: tours of exhibits and behind-the-scenes animal care facilities; drop-ins during Head Start classes and in our Discovery Lab programs for middle school students; and plenty of time to see how we present public programs for our visitors.
We’re thrilled to have them with us. We look forward to future exchanges that will bring more Aquamarine Fukushima staff to Monterey — and send our staff to Japan to learn from colleagues there.
- rama-odella123 likes this
- fruitsprovider likes this
- son-pereda reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- son-pereda likes this
- songswithoutamelody likes this
- makialiboc reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- accioharo likes this
- silverspiral reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- silverspiral likes this
- oceanchild91 reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- discontented-detective likes this
- bag-o-dani likes this
- iamdawt likes this
- kogiopsis likes this
- pot-blooded likes this
- electricpresidentofficial likes this
- ericaishcool likes this
- schicksalswende likes this
- maneatingbadger reblogged this from montereybayaquarium and added:
- ruthscyanide reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- ghostlymahirukoizumi likes this
- rhino-a-go-go likes this
- cordeliaopal likes this
- augustaleigh likes this
- i-mjane likes this
- cherriesama likes this
- isurewin likes this
- sharksinspace likes this
- paparocadoc likes this
- lovegood-and-boswell likes this
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- nomoretexasgovernorsforpresident likes this
- gorgeousnerd likes this
- alanahanada likes this
- blackfishsound reblogged this from montereybayaquarium and added:
- sairobee likes this
- section9 likes this
- montereybayaquarium posted this