Turtle En-route for the Holidays!
Our hatchling loggerhead sea turtle is getting the red-carpet treatment from the folks at US Airways.
A day after the turtle was bumped from his flight to Monterey from North Carolina, both turtle and Husbandry Curator Steve Vogel are scheduled for VIP treatment to get them home for the holidays – at 600 miles per hour, in a three-leg flight that will take most of Thursday to complete.
Andrew Christie with the communications staff at US Airways headquarters in Phoenix has arranged all the details, short of guaranteeing a favorable weather forecast. He’s made sure that everyone at US Airways – from staff at ticket counters and gates, to flight attendants and pilots – is aware that a Very Special Sea Turtle has the green light to travel with them today.
“Our reservations folks were kind enough to book [Steve] on all aisle seats to accommodate any need to…check and/or change the hot water bottle for the baby turtle,” Andrew added.
It’s service that’s can make a life-or-death difference, as our veterinarian, Dr. Mike Murray, notes.
“Thank you so very much for accommodating this little guy, the smallest passenger of the season,” he wrote. “I know it is a bit out of the ordinary, but your kindness and understanding are so very much appreciated. Being so small (only about 4 inches in length) the little turtle has a huge thermal disadvantage. He is not only cold blooded and can’t generate body heat, but the heat that we provide is lost quickly because of his high surface-area-to-body-weight ratio. Having Steve right there with him to monitor the temperature is so critical to the little turtle’s well being.”
You can follow their progress from New Bern, N.C. to Monterey on Twitter at #TravelingTurtle. We’ll post updates throughout the day.
- digi-geek reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- digi-geek likes this
- miireeey likes this
- noah1378 likes this
- knr55 likes this
- new-speranza reblogged this from zombieprincess666
- kaitlyn12347303 likes this
- zombieprincess666 reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- zombieprincess666 likes this
- petathoughts likes this
- fandomfan64 likes this
- budzikm likes this
- crashconnor likes this
- cmwest reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- kristinthefishy likes this
- alissamoda likes this
- lexibug20119 likes this
- elyssasrmm likes this
- saletegumi likes this
- goofylupe likes this
- dylaneee likes this
- sexiisteadii reblogged this from alithatgirl
- alithatgirl reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- rama-odella123 likes this
- fromruinstogreatness reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- poodlepants reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- braile85 reblogged this from montereybayaquarium and added:
- ooooohboy reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- sailorgirly likes this
- rileylovezkandy reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- daniellaqueen likes this
- egau likes this
- igotamohawk likes this
- faithfull-dreamer likes this
- nqlhstalks likes this
- pacificcove likes this
- petalrain likes this
- imperijablog likes this
- helgathegrand likes this
- native-traveler likes this
- moemassacre reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- thetsuwai221191 likes this
- mairavt likes this
- princess-adrienne likes this
- macabre29 likes this
- samantha3399 reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- bikesphillips likes this
- eunoia-of-the-mind likes this
- orkaguardian likes this
- yu-drive-me-insane likes this