RIP, Paul Walker. The Ocean Has Lost a Friend.
Most people mourning the death of Paul Walker know him best in his roles as an actor: The Fast and the Furious series, Varsity Blues, She’s All That and Pleasantville, among many.
We knew him better as an aspiring marine biologist and a lifelong friend of the ocean. And we miss him so much — because he was a true advocate for healthy oceans.
Growing up, Paul was inspired by Jacques Cousteau — his mentor and role model, as he is for many of our staff. He studied marine biology in college and planned to make that his career before he was drawn into acting.
But the ocean was never far from his life — or his concerns.
Mind-blowing ocean life
“The sea is just a big mystery,” he said in a video interview with fabela iMag to to promote Fast and Furious Five. “There are things that are more alien in the ocean than I think are alien in space. It seems like every other day, there’s a new discovery. You look at it and you’re like, ‘Really!’ … Things that are so bizarre … it’s mind blowing.”
An avid surfer (“a zen experience for me”) and scuba diver, he described himself in his Twitter profile as an “ocean addict”. And as he told Entertainment Weekly in an interview, though he became an actor, his work was not his life.
The ocean was always his first love.
Marine biology: “My first passion”
"The passion for marine biology is still there,” he said. “That was my first passion, so I still find other ways to fulfill that.”
One way: Inspire others to get involved in protecting the ocean.
Paul came to the aquarium in 2005 to help us celebrate the opening of our Ocean’s Edge galleries, and the connections each individual has to the health of ocean life. He talked that day with visitors about his personal commitment to ocean conservation, and urged them to step up their own involvement.
Paul was on the board of the Billfish Foundation, and took part in scientific tagging expeditions of great white sharks that were part of National Geographic’s “Expedition Great White”. When he described tagging great whites, it’s not as an actor but as a marine scientist.
"I’d walk away from (acting) to do this full time," he said.
He cared for people in need as well as the ocean. He founded Reach Out Worldwide to provide disaster assistance in places from Haiti to the Midwest to — most recently — the Philippines, in the wake of typhoon Haiyan. He died in a car crash just after making an appearance at a fundraising event for Haiyan relief work.
Above all, he cared about family and friends. As he told Flaunt magazine, “You know, all that really matters is that the people you love are happy and healthy. Everything else is just sprinkles on the sundae.”
We will miss his spirit, his caring, and his love of the ocean.
Photos ©Monterey Bay Aquarium/Randy Wilder
- silverskyline47 likes this
- 5ummernights-citylights likes this
- entrancingdays likes this
- tandee0801 likes this
- sweetheartwithbows likes this
- insightsinsiders reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- itsmemaferva likes this
- bethanyjanedewhirst reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- prendiforalltimes reblogged this from paulwalkertribute
- mysocalleddream likes this
- bubbleteasp likes this
- theperksoflivinginfandoms reblogged this from jensenacklus
- theperksoflivinginfandoms likes this
- niaall likes this
- jensenacklus reblogged this from sebatsianstans
- nicobby reblogged this from paulwalkertribute
- niketearss reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- goodbyeloveheals likes this
- furiousscream2011 reblogged this from wearegrootforever
- furiousscream2011 likes this
- mynameisbrisly reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- eli23-universe reblogged this from lifelovemusiq
- memories-i-wish-to-forget reblogged this from lifelovemusiq
- adrianach9514 likes this
- memories-i-wish-to-forget likes this
- jcarr45 reblogged this from wearegrootforever
- timpanie likes this
- kalifornia-beloved likes this
- courtneymichelleloves reblogged this from lifelovemusiq
- courtneymichelleloves likes this
- bubblicious02 likes this
- beyounomatterwhat-gp reblogged this from lifelovemusiq
- beyounomatterwhat-gp likes this
- breakmyheartandiwillbreakyourfac likes this
- vergeedee reblogged this from lifelovemusiq
- vergeedee likes this
- thecatwomantohisbatman likes this
- lifelovemusiq reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- thisandthat68 likes this
- embrace-uncertainty reblogged this from sebatsianstans
- embrace-uncertainty likes this
- lifelovemusiq likes this
- desirousofeverythingatsametime likes this
- sebatsianstans reblogged this from wearegrootforever
- west-cali-west likes this
- sannymaus75 likes this
- ride-or-die-fast likes this
- jossssyy reblogged this from thisisawastelandd
- wingapoo likes this
- shinimami likes this