Shedding Some (Natural) Light on Our New No-Flash Policy
Can you take great pictures without a flash? With the advent of our new “no-flash policy,” our guides and volunteers decided to find out. Check out these amazing shots, and decide for yourself!
About the Change
Why change our policy? We’ve always discouraged the use of camera flash in certain areas, but with the upcoming opening of our ”Tentacles” special exhibition that will feature extremely light-sensitive animals, we’re applying this rule to the entire Aquarium.
And so, we ask that you turn off your flash when taking photographs inside. You’ll get better photos—and our animals and other visitors will thank you!
While cameras have different ways of turning off the flash feature, it’s important to know how to operate yours. You’ll know you’ve turned off the flash when you see the universal symbol of a lightning bolt with a diagonal slash through it.
If your camera model uses a “focusing light”, please don’t use your camera inside.
Use your camera’s settings to “compensate” for low light where needed. Learn more.
Favorite areas for family photos are on our decks (with good light and the bay in the background) or in front of our Aquarium logo at the main entrance. It’s okay to use flash in these areas if you need to.
Consider downloading the Monterey Bay Aquarium app on your iPhone. You can download and share excellent professional photos of your favorite Aquarium animals and exhibits.
Photos are also available for purchase in our Gift & Bookstore.
And so, we’ll finish with your favorite double entendre, displayed prominently next to one of our most popular exhibits: “Please, don’t flash the octopus!”
Thanks to these staff and volunteers! Emily Simpson, Amy Jo, Katie Johnston and Doris Nishimoto
- iamrodsoley likes this
- downwhereitswetter reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- artiste9999 reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- flurri-es reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- pasionanimalblog likes this
- carlos-di-vargas reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- carlos-di-vargas likes this
- mcblobs reblogged this from ghirahim
- jingko521 likes this
- jingko521 reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- scissors-and-so-on likes this
- tokidoki-sutcliff likes this
- nutterfly likes this
- kimi--hime reblogged this from ghirahim
- rururupansansei likes this
- rururupansansei reblogged this from ghirahim
- ghirahim reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- dumb-asks-simple-answers likes this
- grantstirton likes this
- iwritethesewordsinblood reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- carumblr1 likes this
- jimsguts reblogged this from fuckyeahvictoriakaye
- tommy081 likes this
- idkjohnny likes this
- ant-advancednerdtheories likes this
- zoniffice reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- quelnovefebbraio likes this
- lililupu reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- lililupu likes this
- loveeemaiblog likes this
- balibeyy reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- wafercat reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- wafercat likes this
- super-to-infinty-and-beyond likes this
- mightysuraj likes this
- purrfeck likes this
- voerreden likes this
- eva17blond likes this
- isabella008 likes this
- isabellafreak12 likes this
- annellise1 likes this
- tiger-tiger-tiger likes this
- suelyme likes this
- 777elizabet likes this
- diomaylinsilvav likes this
- flag-nomenclature likes this
- teressamorris likes this
- hathrox likes this
- pleadingthefifth reblogged this from montereybayaquarium
- pleadingthefifth likes this